It has taken me over 30 years to develop my approach to life planning. All the advice I give is based on real direct practical experience from both my business and personal life. Below are just a few of the tools and techniques that can help you change your life when creating a LifeDesign™.
Tried and tested tools to help you change your life
Every suggestion I make and every tool I recommend has been tested numerous times and proven to work. It’s true, not every approach suits everyone, but you won’t know if things suit you unless you try them. If I am asked for my “Top 10” things to do to get your life in order this would be my list:
- Spend time getting to know what you believe. What you believe is the key. What you believe now (at this moment) can change if you take the time to think about it. If you don’t really, really, believe that something is possible for you, it just won’t happen because you won’t be motivated to take action. But once you believe in a possibility, you are on your way to making the change.
- Learn how to change what you believe – and you will change your life
- Set yourself SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-bound) objectives or goals – a bit “businessy” but the method works equally well for personal stuff
- Create a “burr in the saddle” – In order to make progress you do need something roughly equivalent to a pain in the backside – set up a phone reminder or get a friend to routinely ask you if you have done what you promised
- Develop colourful pictures of where you want to end up to reinforce your objectives. You need to “own” you goals. They need to be real for you. Create a colourful compelling vision of where you want to end up – there are those who can do it in their heads – others create a scrapbook and collect motivating images. The way you do it is not important. It’s just important that you do it.
- Count your blessings – if there is one way to feel better faster, it’s to make time to appreciate what you have (someone somewhere is praying for what you already have)
- Be positive and optimistic. Expect the best. Make sure you see the glass as half full – not half empty
- Follow your dreams – Be true to what you really want. Take time to understand what you want out of life – not what others want or what society or family or celebrities tell you that you should want
- Understand what you value. Values are the foundations of beliefs and beliefs drive or allow actions. Know your values
- What do you really love doing? What is it that floats your boat/puts you in flow/the Zone?
To make progress you need to explore all these things in depth. Try writing it all down, examining it, questioning it. Try working at the edge of your current or habitual thoughts – that’s where it is different, original and you get insights.
Create a LifeDesign™
If you want to change your life but don’t know where to start, why not download our free 33 page PDF ebook? It will work on all devices and contains tools and techniques to get you started on your life planning journey. Click the button below to get it now!
all our downloads are in PDF format and will work on any device